CWAJ College Women's Association of Japan

About Us

History of CWAJ

CWAJ History

1945
Wellesley Club, one of the founders of CWAJ, revived in Japan after the Second World War.
1948
Mount Holyoke Club, the other founder of CWAJ, revived its activities in Japan.
1949
Mount Holyoke Club held funding activities to award first travel grants to nine male and female students.
Mount Holyoke Club and Wellesley Club joined forces.
1950
College Women’s Clubs of Tokyo (CWCT) established expanding membership to all US college alumnae. Travel grants awarded to 31 students.
1956
First Print Show “Exhibitions of Modern Japanese Woodblock Prints” with 91 prints by 40 invited artists held at International House.
1962
Membership eligibility changes to “Women of any nationality who has attended college in Japan or abroad for a year or more”.
CWCT English Language Training Program.
1963
Official name is changed to College Women’s Association of Japan (CWAJ).
1965
Volunteer English Teaching program (VET).
1966
Cultural Seminars, first lecture series, held at St. Mary’s International School auditorium.
1967
First English Language Summer Seminars to regional areas.
1968
Travelling Print Show to Philadelphia.
The 1st Associate Print Show.
1969
Travelling Print Show to Michigan and New York.
CWAJ awarded the Land Bryant International Volunteer Award.
1970
Travelling Print Show to Okinawa and Sydney, Australia.
1971
Travelling Print Show to Naha, Okinawa and Minneapolis.
1972
Membership eligibility changed to “Women with at least two years’ college education.”
Travel Grant program ended. Full scholarships awarded for Japanese women graduates only.
Orientation Program for Japanese Wives Moving Overseas inaugurated.
Council on English Education Kumamoto (CEEK) Scholarship established.
1974
Print Show venue moves from International House to Tokyo American Club; also held at Odakyu Department Store.
Kadowaki Scholarship inaugurated.
1975
Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) inaugurated.
1976
Volunteers for Blind Student friendship group (VBS) inaugurated.
Scholarship for Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies instituted.
1977
Scholarship for Tsuda College students.
1978
Scholarship for Visually Impaired Students inaugurated.
1979
English Children’s Circle (ECC) for Japanese child returnees, Wonder Circle and Paddington Circle, founded.
1980
CIEE, CEEK, and Tsuda scholarships discontinued.
ECC Kookaburra Circle founded.
The 25th Anniversary Print Show.
1981
Scholarship for Non-Japanese Women inaugurated.
Orientation Program for Japanese Wives discontinued.
1985
ECC Miracle Circle founded.
The 30th Anniversary Print Show.
First Art Grants awarded to two artists.
The 30th Anniversary Commemorative Print Show held in Honolulu; Washington D.C.; Chicago; New York City; Salem, Massachusetts; Expo ’86, Vancouver; and London.
1987
Awarded National Council of Social Welfare for 13 years of service to visually impaired students.
1989
Tokyo American Club Women’s Group (TACWG) delegates CWAJ to select a TACWG scholarship recipient.
1990
CWAJ Center opens in Gotanda.
Foreign Student’s Group (FSG) initiated.
1992
Travelling Print Show to New Zealand and Australia.
1995
The 40th Anniversary Print Show.
1996
Hands-On-Art for the visually impaired begins at Print Show.
1999
The 50th Anniversary Luncheon.
2015
The 60th Print Show.
2016
Travelling Print Show to Cape Cod, Massachusetts.