SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED
TO STUDY ABROAD (SVI-SA) 2018
One Scholarship, ¥3.0 Million
The SVI-SA Program supports visually impaired Japanese or special permanent resident students for graduate study or studies in an academic program at an accredited university or research institution abroad.
- Applicants must be visually impaired women or men, with a Certificate of Disability Grade 1-6.
- Applicants must be nationals or special permanent residents of Japan, living in Japan from the time of the application until March 31, 2018.
Individuals currently studying or living abroad are ineligible. We therefore regret that we cannot accept applications from outside Japan.
- Applicants for an undergraduate award must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study in Japan by March 31, 2018.
- Applicants for a graduate award must have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (4-year course) by June 30, 2018.
- Applicants must be accepted in a program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad by March 31, 2018 and must be enrolled within that year for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Applicants must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score as a part of their application. The test must have been taken after October 1, 2015.
The following are ineligible:
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥0 million from other scholarship programs for the duration of the CWAJ scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Members of CWAJ.
Period of Acceptance
Applications must be postmarked on or between
Monday, November 6, and Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists will be held in February 2018 in Tokyo. They are usually conducted on weekends. You will be notified at least two weeks in advance if you have been selected for an interview. The interview will be conducted in English. Applicants will be notified of the results in writing.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
Obtaining the Application
Application forms are available on the CWAJ website. Forms are also available by e-mail. The deadline for requesting application forms by e-mail is Monday, November 6, 2017.
- Downloading the form:
To download, click the following link. You need Acrobat Reader to read and print the downloaded forms in PDF format.
Submitting the Application
All applications must be written in English.
We do not accept applications via e-mail.
For more information about the scholarship program, please send your inquiry in English or Japanese to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the scholarship program, please send your inquiry in English or Japanese to email@example.com