The Study Abroad program supports women who are Japanese nationals who wish to study abroad for a graduate degree. Scholarships are based on candidates’ academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of their proposed study, and their potential to contribute to society, and does not impose restrictions on field of study.
CWAJ is proudly celebrating its 70th anniversary in 2019 and to commemorate this remarkable milestone we are awarding two special Study Abroad Scholarships.
Two Scholarships ¥5.0 Million each over 2 years
(1st year – ¥3 million, 2nd year – ¥2 million)
1. Applicants must:
- Be women who are Japanese nationals or special permanent residents of Japan, living in Japan from the time of application until the end of March 2019. Individuals currently studying or working abroad are ineligible.
- Have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (4 year course) by June 2019.
- Submit a TOEFL score of at least 570 (IBT 88) if applying for a graduate degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 600 (IBT 98) if applying for a degree in any other field. The TOEFL must have been taken after October 1, 2016. Applicants may submit an IELTS score instead of TOEFL score. The IELTS score must be at least 6.5 if applying for a graduate degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 7.0 if applying for a degree in any other field. IELTS must have been taken after October 1, 2016.
- Be accepted in a graduate degree program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad by March 31, 2019 and must be enrolled within that year for the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 academic years.
2. The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have studied abroad at the college level in an English-speaking program or institution for more than two (2) academic years.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥2 million per year from any other scholarship programs for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Former recipients of CWAJ awards and members of CWAJ.
- The 2019 SA scholarship requires the recipient to be enrolled to study abroad for 2 years or more, so those enrolled in a one-year program are ineligible.
Period of acceptance
All applications must be written in English.
Applications must be postmarked between (inclusive)
Monday, October 15 and Tuesday, October 23, 2018.
Application submission by email is NOT acceptable.
Applications must be sent by regular mail or Letterpack Light.
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists will be held in Tokyo in February 2019.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email and in writing.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application. We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan.
For more information about the scholarship program, please send your inquiry in English or Japanese to firstname.lastname@example.org.