The Application Period for the 2020 CWAJ Graduate Scholarship for the Visually Impaired is now closed.
We will no longer be responding to inquiries regarding applications for 2020 scholarships. Thank you for your understanding.
The posted applications are for reference only. Applications for the 2021 Scholarships will be uploaded in July 2020.
2020 CWAJ SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED TO STUDY ABROAD
The Scholarship for the Visually Impaired to Study Abroad supports visually impaired men and women who are Japanese nationals for graduate or undergraduate English-based study abroad. It was established in 1978 and was the first scholarship designated for visually impaired students in Japan. Scholarships are awarded based on a candidate’s academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of the proposed study, and the potential to contribute to society. The Scholarship does not impose restrictions on field of study or age.
- Be visually impaired women or men with a Certificate of Disability, Grade 1-6.
- Be Japanese nationals, living in Japan from the time of application until the end of March 2020.
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate study (four-year course) in Japan by March 2020.
- Have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (four-year course) by June 2020, if applying for a graduate award.
- Be accepted in an academic program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad by March 31, 2020 and must be enrolled within that year for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Submit a TOEFL or IELTS score at the time of application. The TOEFL or IELTS must have been taken after October 1, 2017.
The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have studied abroad at the college level in an English-language program or institution for more than two (2) academic years.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥2.0 million from any other scholarship programs for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study, and disability pension may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Members of CWAJ.
All applications must be written in English.
Period of acceptance
- Applications must be postmarked between (inclusive) Wednesday, November 6 and Wednesday, November 13, 2019.
- Application submission by email is NOT acceptable.
- Applications must be sent by regular mail or Letterpack Light. Any other method will be ineligible.
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists will be held in Tokyo in February 2020.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email and in writing.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
* Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application. We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan.
Application Form (Download)
- Download the 2020 SVI-SA Application Form (PDF) >>
- Download the 2020 SVI-SA Application Form (Word) >>
- Download the 2020 SVI-SA Application Form – Without Frame (PDF) >>
- Download the 2020 SVI-SA Application Form – Without Frame (Word) >>
Home | Scholarship | Graduate Scholarship for Japanese Women to Study Abroad | Non-Japanese Graduate Scholarship | Visually Impaired To Study in Japan | Current Scholars | Voices from Scholars | Our Scholars