CWAJ GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP FOR
THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED TO STUDY ABROAD (SVI-SA)
The Scholarship for the Visually Impaired to Study Abroad supports visually impaired people who are Japanese nationals or special permanent residents for graduate English-based study abroad. The SVI Program was established in 1978 and was the first scholarship designated for visually impaired students in Japan. Scholarships are awarded based on a candidate’s academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of their proposed plan of study, and their potential to contribute to society. The Scholarship does not have any restrictions on field of study or age.
In 2024, the following scholarship will be available:
One Scholarship of ¥2.0 Million
The application period for the 2024 scholarship is now open.
If you require assistance, please contact the CWAJ Scholarship Committee using the Contact Us form.
Eligibility Requirements for 2024 scholarship for reference only:
- Be a visually impaired person with a Certificate of Disability, Grade 1-6.
- Be a Japanese national or special permanent resident of Japan, living in Japan from the time of application until the end of April 2024. Applicants currently studying or living abroad are ineligible.
- Have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (4-year course) by July 31, 2024.
- Submit an overall TOEFL score of at least 570 (IBT 88) if applying for a degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 600 (IBT 98) if applying for a degree in any other field. The TOEFL must have been taken after October 1, 2021. Applicants may submit an IELTS score instead of a TOEFL score. The IELTS overall score must be at least 6.5 if applying for a degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 7.0 if applying for a degree in any other field. The IELTS must have been taken after October 1, 2021. TOEFL or IELTS scores submitted separate from or after the application will not be accepted.
- Be accepted by March 31, 2024 into a graduate degree program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad. The applicant must be present and enrolled at the accredited university or research institution abroad for the 2024-2025 academic year. Online study from Japan will not be accepted.
The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have studied abroad at university-level for more than two (2) academic years.
- Applicants who have a degree from an overseas university or institution.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥1.8 million from any other scholarship programs for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study and disability pension may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Non-scholar Members of CWAJ.
Application Details: All applications must be written in English.
Timeline of application:
July 2023: Form A – Registration for Application ID Number on website. Links to the Application Forms will be available after registering for an Application ID Number.
Monday, October 2, 2023, 9:00 JST: Payment of ¥2,000 application fee by bank transfer may be made from this date (and NOT before).
Deadline is Thursday, November 9, 2023, 23:59 JST: Application Forms 1 and 2 with required documents and references (Form 3) must be submitted online by the deadline.
February 2024: Interviews: usually held on a weekend
March 2024: Notification of recipients
Download of the SVI-SA Scholarship Sample Application Forms in pdf format will be available by July 15 (for reference only, application must be made online).
Interviews and Selection:
Interviews of the finalists will be held in Tokyo in February 2024.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application. We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan. Please note that CWAJ communicates by email only. Telephone inquiries will NOT be accepted.
For more information about the scholarship program or form assistance with the application, please use the Contact Us form.
Choose “Scholarship” and put “SVI – Study Abroad” in the title of your inquiry. You may send your inquiry in English or Japanese. CWAJ is an all-volunteer organization; please allow some time for a response.