2021 CWAJ SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED TO STUDY ABROAD
The Scholarship for the Visually Impaired to Study Abroad supports visually impaired men and women who are Japanese nationals for graduate or undergraduate English-based study abroad. It was established in 1978 and was the first scholarship designated for visually impaired students in Japan. Scholarships are awarded based on a candidate’s academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of the proposed study, and the potential to contribute to society. The Scholarship does not impose restrictions on field of study or age.The Study Abroad program supports women who are Japanese nationals or special permanent residents who wish to study abroad for a graduate degree. Scholarships are awarded based on a candidate’s academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of her proposed study, and her potential to contribute to society. The Scholarship does not impose restrictions on field of study or age.The Study Abroad program supports women who are Japanese nationals or special permanent residents who wish to study abroad for a graduate degree. Scholarships are awarded based on a candidate’s academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of her proposed study, and her potential to contribute to society. The Scholarship does not impose restrictions on field of study or age.
The Application Period for the 2021 CWAJ Scholarship for the Visually Impaired is now closed.
We will no longer be responding to inquiries regarding applications for 2021 scholarships. Thank you for your understanding.
The posted applications are for reference only. Applications for the 2022 Scholarships will be uploaded in July 2021.
- Be visually impaired women or men with a Certificate of Disability, Grade 1-6.
- Be Japanese nationals or special permanent residents of Japan, living in Japan from the time of application until the end of March 2021.
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate study (four-year course) in Japan by March 2021.
- Have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (four-year course) by July 31, 2021, if applying for a graduate award.
- Be accepted by March 31, 2021 into a graduate degree program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad. The applicant must be present and enrolled at the accredited university or research institution abroad for the 2021-2022 academic year. Online study from Japan will not be accepted.
- Submit a TOEFL or IELTS score at the time of application. The TOEFL or IELTS must have been taken after October 1, 2018.
The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have studied abroad at university-level for more than two (2) academic years.
- Applicants who have a degree from an overseas university or institution.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥2.0 million from any other scholarship programs for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study, and disability pension may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Former recipients of CWAJ awards and members of CWAJ.
All applications must be written in English.
Period of acceptance
- Applications must be postmarked between (inclusive) Wednesday, November 4 and Wednesday, November 11, 2020.
- Application submission by email is NOT acceptable.
- Applications must be sent by regular mail or Letterpack Light. Any other method will be ineligible.
Application Form (Download)
- Download the 2021 SVI-SA Application Form (PDF) >>
- Download the 2021 SVI-SA Application Instructions Text (PDF) >>
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists will be held in Tokyo in February 2021.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email and postal mail.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
* Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application.We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan.
For more information about the scholarship program, please use the Contact Us form. Choose “Scholarship” to send your inquiry in English or Japanese.
Home | Scholarship | Graduate Scholarship for Japanese Women to Study Abroad | Non-Japanese Graduate Scholarship | Visually Impaired To Study in Japan | Current Scholars | Voices from Scholars | Our Scholars