2022 CWAJ SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED
TO STUDY ABROAD (SVI-SA)
The Scholarship for the Visually Impaired to Study Abroad supports visually impaired men and women who are Japanese nationals or special permanent residents for graduate or undergraduate English-based study abroad. The SVI Program was established in 1978 and was the first scholarship designated for visually impaired students in Japan. Scholarships are awarded based on a candidate’s academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of the proposed study, and the potential to contribute to society. The Scholarship does not impose restrictions on field of study or age.
One Scholarship of ¥3.0 Million
- Applicants must:
- Be visually impaired women or men with a Certificate of Disability, Grade 1-6.
- Be Japanese nationals or special permanent residents of Japan, living in Japan from the time of application until the end of April 2022. Applicants currently studying or living abroad are ineligible.
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate study (four-year course) in Japan by July 31, 2022 if applying for an undergraduate award, with credits transferable to the university abroad.
- Have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (four-year course) by July 31, 2022, if applying for a graduate award.
- Submit an overall TOEFL score of at least 570 (IBT 88) if applying for a degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 600 (IBT 98) if applying for a degree in any other field. The TOEFL must have been taken after October 1, 2019. Applicants may submit an IELTS score instead of a TOEFL score. The IELTS overall score must be at least 6.5 if applying for a degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 7.0 if applying for a degree in any other field. The IELTS must have been taken after October 1, 2019. TOEFL or IELTS scores submitted separate from or after the application will not be accepted.
- Be accepted by April 15, 2022 into an undergraduate or a graduate degree program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad. The applicant must be present and enrolled at the accredited university or research institution abroad for the 2022-2023 academic year. Online study from Japan will not be accepted.
- The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have studied abroad at university-level for more than two (2) academic years.
- Applicants who have a degree from an overseas university or institution.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥2.0 million from any other scholarship programs for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study and disability pension may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Members of CWAJ.
All applications must be written in English.
Timeline for applying
- Application form will be available from July 2021.
- Registration for Application Number will be available from October 1, 2021. An Application Number is required to submit all application documents.
- Applications must be submitted online between (inclusive)
Tuesday, November 2 and Wednesday, November 10, 2021.
Obtaining the Application
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists will be held in Tokyo in February 2022.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application.
We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan.
Please note that CWAJ communicates by email only. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted.
For more information about the scholarship program, please use the Contact Us form. Choose “Scholarship” to send your inquiry in English or Japanese.