2021 CWAJ GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP FOR JAPANESE WOMEN TO STUDY ABROAD
The Study Abroad program supports women who are Japanese nationals or special permanent residents who wish to study abroad for a graduate degree. Scholarships are awarded based on a candidate’s academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of her proposed study, and her potential to contribute to society. The Scholarship does not impose restrictions on field of study or age.
¥3.0 Million each
- Be women who are Japanese nationals or special permanent residents of Japan, living in Japan from the time of application until the end of March 2021. Individuals currently studying or working abroad are ineligible.
- Have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (4-year course) by July 31, 2021.
- Submit a TOEFL score of at least 570 (IBT 88) if applying for a graduate degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 600 (IBT 98) if applying for a degree in any other field. The TOEFL must have been taken after October 1, 2018. Applicants may submit an IELTS score instead of a TOEFL score. The IELTS score must be at least 6.5 if applying for a graduate degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 7.0 if applying for a degree in any other field. The IELTS must have been taken after October 1, 2018.
- Be accepted in a graduate degree program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad by March 31, 2021 and must be enrolled within that year for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have studied abroad at university-level for more than two (2) academic years.
- Applicants who have a degree from an overseas university or institution.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥2 million per year from any other scholarship programs for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Former recipients of CWAJ awards and members of CWAJ.
All applications must be written in English.
Period of acceptance
- Applications must be postmarked between (inclusive) Monday, October 12 and Monday, October 19, 2020
- Application submission by email is NOT acceptable.
- Applications must be sent by regular mail or Letterpack Light. Any other method will be ineligible.
Application Form (Download)
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists will be held in Tokyo in February 2021.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email and postal mail.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
* Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application.
We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan
For more information about the scholarship program, please use the Contact Us form. Choose “Scholarship” to send your inquiry in English or Japanese.