2022 CWAJ GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
FOR NON-JAPANESE WOMEN TO STUDY IN JAPAN (NJG)
– 40th ANNIVERSARY –
The Non-Japanese Graduate Program, established in 1981 and celebrating its 40th Anniversary in 2022, supports graduate study in Japan for non-Japanese women who are enrolled in a PhD degree program at a Japanese university. Female students from over 40 countries have benefited from the NJG Program.
Scholarships are awarded based on a candidate’s academic excellence, the quality and feasibility of her proposed study, and her potential to contribute to society. The Scholarship does not impose restrictions on field of study or age.
The Application Period for the 2022 CWAJ Graduate Scholarship for Non-Japanese Women to Study in Japan is now closed. We will no longer be responding to inquiries regarding applications for 2022 scholarships. Thank you for your understanding.
The posted applications are for reference only. Applications for the 2023 Scholarships will be uploaded in July 2022.
Two Scholarships of ¥2.0 million each
- Applicants must:
- Be non-Japanese, non-permanent resident women.
- Be enrolled in a PhD degree program, but not in the final year, in the graduate school of a Japanese university from April 2022 to March 2023.
- Be residing in Japan at the time of application.
- Submit an essay in English.
- The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have any education (not including language study) in Japan prior to a bachelor’s degree.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥1.5 million from any other scholarship program for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Former recipients of CWAJ awards and members of CWAJ.
All applications must be written in English.
Period of acceptance
- Applications must be postmarked between (inclusive)
Monday, October 11 and Monday, October 18, 2021
- Application submission by email is NOT acceptable.
- Applications must be sent by regular mail or Letterpack Light (blue envelope). Any other method will be ineligible.
<Revised documents as of July 17, 2021>
Download the NJG Scholarship Instruction
Download the NJG Scholarship Application Form
Download the NJG Scholarship Form 3 Letter of Reference
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists will be held in Tokyo in February 2022.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application.
We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan.
Please note that CWAJ communicates by email only. Telephone inquiries will NOT be accepted.
For more information about the scholarship program, please use the Contact Us form. Choose “Scholarship” to send your inquiry in English or Japanese.
Home | Scholarship | Graduate Scholarship for Japanese Women to Study Abroad | Visually Impaired To Study Abroad | Visually Impaired To Study in Japan | Current Scholars | Voices from Scholars | Our Scholars