Eligibility for the prior year (2023) CWAJ Graduate Scholarship for Non-Japanese Women to Study in Japan (NJG).
This information is about the 2023 scholarship year and is provided for reference only. Please refer to the 2024 application for current information (apply for an application number <click here> and follow the instructions).
2023 Eligibility Requirements
- Be non-Japanese, non-permanent resident women.
- Be enrolled in a PhD degree program in the graduate school of a Japanese university from April 2023 to March 2024.
- Be residing in Japan at the time of application.
- Submit an essay in English
- Submit copies of all original transcripts, including PhD in English (or translations into English)
- Submit an application fee of ¥2,000.
The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have any education (not including language study) in Japan prior to a bachelor’s degree.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥1.5 million from any other scholarship program for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship.
- Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Former recipients of CWAJ awards and members of CWAJ.
All applications must be written in English.
Period of acceptance
- Deadline: Monday, October 10, 2022
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists were held in Tokyo in February 2023.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application.
We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan.
Please note that CWAJ communicates by email only. Telephone inquiries will NOT be accepted.
For more information about the scholarship program, please use the Contact Us form. Choose “Scholarship” to send your inquiry in English or Japanese.