2022 CWAJ SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED
TO STUDY ABROAD (SVI-SA)
The Application Period for the 2022 CWAJ Graduate Scholarship for the Visually Impaired is now closed. We will no longer be responding to inquiries regarding applications for 2022 scholarships. Thank you for your understanding.
The posted applications are for reference only. Applications for the 2023 Scholarships will be uploaded in July 2022.
- Be visually impaired women or men with a Certificate of Disability, Grade 1-6.
- Be Japanese nationals or special permanent residents of Japan, living in Japan from the time of application until the end of April 2022. Applicants currently studying or living abroad are ineligible.
- Have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (four-year course) by July 31, 2022.
- Submit an overall TOEFL score of at least 570 (IBT 88) if applying for a degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 600 (IBT 98) if applying for a degree in any other field. The TOEFL must have been taken after October 1, 2019. Applicants may submit an IELTS score instead of a TOEFL score. The IELTS overall score must be at least 6.5 if applying for a degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 7.0 if applying for a degree in any other field. The IELTS must have been taken after October 1, 2019. TOEFL or IELTS scores submitted separate from or after the application will not be accepted.
- Be accepted by April 15, 2022 into a graduate degree program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad. The applicant must be present and enrolled at the accredited university or research institution abroad for the 2022-2023 academic year. Online study from Japan will not be accepted.
The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have studied abroad at university-level for more than two (2) academic years.
- Applicants who have a degree from an overseas university or institution.
- Holders of scholarships greater than ¥2.0 million from any other scholarship programs for the duration of the CWAJ Scholarship. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study and disability pension may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Non-scholar members of CWAJ.
All applications must be written in English.
Timeline for applying
- Application form was available from July 2021.
- Registration for Application Number was available from October 15, 2021 to November 10, 2021. An Application Number is required to submit all application documents.
- Applications were submitted online between November 2 and November 10, 2021.
Download the prior year SVI-SA Scholarship Application Form in WORD format
Download the prior year SVI-SA Scholarship Reference Form in WORD format
The proof year SVI-SA Scholarship Application Instructions in Text format
Interviews and Selection
Interviews of the finalists were held in Tokyo in February 2022.
Candidates should plan to be available during the month when interviews are being held and will be notified at least two weeks in advance if they have been selected for an interview. Applicants will be notified of the results by email.
CWAJ reserves the right to make its own selections and does not discuss any of its decisions.
Applicants are required to be residing in Japan at the time of their application.
We regret, therefore, that we are unable to accept applications from outside of Japan.
Please note that CWAJ communicates by email only. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted.
For more information about the scholarship program, please use the Contact Us form. Choose “Scholarship” to send your inquiry in English or Japanese.