The Application Period for the 2022 CWAJ Scholarships for the Visually Impaired is now closed. We will no longer be responding to inquiries regarding applications for 2022 scholarships. Thank you for your understanding.
The posted applications are for reference only. Applications for the 2023 Scholarships will be uploaded in July 2022.
2022 SVI-SA APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
BEFORE YOU BEGIN, PLEASE NOTE:
*You must meet each requirement in order to qualify for the scholarship. CWAJ allows no exceptions to these requirements.
*You may not apply from abroad.
*Neither your application nor anything else you send to us will be returned. Any materials in addition to those requested in this application will be disregarded.
- An Application Number is required to submit an application.
Scholarship for the Visually Impaired to Study Abroad (SVI-SA Program)
One Scholarship of 3.0 Million yen
I. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Applicants must be visually impaired women or men with a Certificate of Disability Grade 1-6.
- Applicants must be Japanese nationals or special permanent residents of Japan, living in Japan from the time of application until the end of April 2022. Applicants currently studying or living abroad are ineligible.
- Applicants for an undergraduate award must have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a Japanese university (four-year course) by July 31, 2022 if applying for an undergraduate award, with credits transferable to the university abroad.
- Applicants for a graduate award must have graduated with a degree from a Japanese university (four-year course) by July 31, 2022.
- Submit an overall TOEFL score of at least 570 (IBT 88) if applying for a degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 600 (IBT 98) if applying for a degree in any other field. The TOEFL must have been taken after October 1, 2019. Applicants may submit an IELTS score instead of a TOEFL score. The IELTS overall score must be at least 6.5 if applying for a degree in the natural sciences, math, medicine or engineering, and 7.0 if applying for a degree in any other field. The IELTS must have been taken after October 1, 2019.TOEFL or IELTS scores submitted separate from or after the application will not be accepted.
- Applicants must be accepted into an undergraduate or a graduate degree program that is taught in English at an accredited university or research institution abroad by April 15, 2022. The applicant must be present and enrolled at the accredited university or research institution abroad for the 2022-2023 academic year. Online study from Japan will not be accepted.
The following are ineligible:
- Applicants who have studied abroad at university-level for a total of more than two (2) academic years.
- Applicants who have a degree from an overseas university or institution.
- Holders of scholarships greater than 2.0 million yen from any other scholarship programs. Financial aid and awards from the university where the applicant will study and disability pension may not be subject to the same limitation.
- Members of CWAJ.
II. INTERVIEWS AND SELECTION
Interviews of the finalists will be held in Tokyo in February 2022. You will be notified at least two weeks in advance if you have been selected for an interview. The interview will be conducted in English. Applicants will be notified of the results by email.
The methods, rankings and judgments used by CWAJ are proprietary and totally confidential. CWAJ does not enter into any discussion of its decisions.
III. SVI-SA PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIP TIMETABLE
October 15, 2021: “Form A – Registration for Application Number” will be available on the website.
Period of acceptance: Tuesday, November 2 through Wednesday, November 10, 2021. Applications must be received on or between these dates only, or the application will not be considered.
February 2022: Interviews and notification of recipient.
IV. INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING CWAJ SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORMS
Form A – Registration for Application Number (available from October 15, 2021).
- Fill in Personal Information to generate an Application Number.
- Address for Future Reference should be an address where you expect to be able to receive postal mail for the next several years – for example, the address of parents or close relatives. A personal email address is required (not a school address).
Form 1 Application for Scholarship
- Personal Information. Fill in all items.
- Educational Qualifications. List your most recently attended university first, then all others in reverse order.
- TOEFL or IELTS Score. Indicate highest overall score received on any tests taken after October 1, 2019.
- Previous Study Abroad/International Experience. Include all international assignments, travel, study, conferences or other experiences, except for brief vacations.
- Proposed study program. Fill in all information that applies, for all schools applied to.
- Work/Volunteer/Other Experience. Use this space for significant extracurricular as well as work and volunteer experience. Please account for any period longer than three months when you were not working or in school.
- Significant Publications, Presentations, Honors and Awards. Include both academic and non-academic awards and honors. Information on published work should include name and date of publication, and publisher. Indicate whether presentations were refereed or non-refereed. DO NOT send actual publications, abstracts or title pages.
- References. List names, titles, and institutions of individuals to whom you will give Form 3, the Letter of Reference.
- Financial Information.
9-1 List all forms of financial aid you have received during your university education, including current and promised aid. Indicate the beginning and ending dates of the periods during which you received each form of financial aid.
9-2 List other scholarships for which you have applied.
Form 2 Essay
Complete the essay in English using Form 2. It must not exceed 800 words (no photos or graphics),with a maximum length of 2 pages. Sign your full name and the date of your application on the last page of Form 1, next to “Signature (or full name) of applicant.”
Form 3 Two Letters of Reference
Send Form 3 to two different professors and/or employers or other persons who know you well in a recent academic or professional capacity. Remind them that references must be in English or have an English translation attached. The referee must include your Application Number and name at the top of the page and their signature (or full name) and date at the end of the page. The completed form must be returned as a PDF.
It is your responsibility to verify that the references are submitted online by the referees within the acceptance period, and that the references are clearly marked with your last name and Application Number. Any reference received after the acceptance period will be disregarded and your application will not be processed.
The person completing the reference must not be a relative or personal friend.
V. COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
Follow the instructions on the checklist below exactly. Any application that fails to comply with these requirements and deadlines will be disqualified.
You must first apply for an Application Number (Form A) before you can submit your application (Form A available from October 15, 2021). Your application number, and the document and reference uploading links will be emailed to you after you register.
Your application must include ALL of the following documents (a to e).
Any document that is NOT IN ENGLISH must be accompanied by an English translation.
i) Form 1, Completed CWAJ Application with signature (or full name) and date.
ii) Essay in English.
iii) Scans of Certified Transcripts in English, including transcripts of any transferred credits, from every undergraduate and graduate university you have attended (past or present), along with an explanation of the marking system. This explanation is crucial for the Selection Committee to properly understand each transcript. If your university has an official document explaining its system, please include it. If it has none, ask the university to provide a brief explanation or do your best to explain it yourself. DO NOT send copies of diplomas or certificates of any kind.
*You may be required to send the original transcript(s) by mail if you are shortlisted for an interview.
b) One scan of your TOEFL or IELTS score.
c) One scan of your Certificate of Disability.
d) If applicable, a special permanent resident must send one scan of their Residence Card (Zairyu Card, 在留カード).
e) A scan of the bank transfer receipt of the 2,000-yen application fee paid to the bank account below: (Do not transfer the fee before October 25, 2021.)
Bank of Mitsubishi UFJ 三菱UFJ銀行
Meguro Branch (#680) 目黒支店（店番680）
Savings Account No:0259076 普通預金口座：0259076
Account name: SHA) CWAJ (Ippan Shadan Hojin CWAJ – 一般社団法人CWAJ)
** When filling out the bank form, put “SVI-SA Application Number” before your name (example: SVI-SA00 Yamada Hanako).
** Any bank fee is to be paid by the applicant.
** Name in alphabet only.
BEFORE uploading any file, change the file names to the following format (for easy identification of sender and document).
File name format: Program name-Application number-LAST NAME-Document type
Upload 1: The Application Form with the Essay and Transcripts must be combined into a single PDF and named in the following format:
Upload 2: The Test score must be combined with other documents into a single PDF and named in the format below. “Other” if applicable: Disability card, Residence card, Acceptance letter, etc.
Upload 3: The Bank receipt must be a legible scan saved as a PDF (cross out the account number) and named in the following format:
Ex: SA00-YAMADA-Bank receipt
Reference Letter: Give the Letter of Reference Form 3 file to your referees with the correct file name, and the “Reference Uploading” link. The Reference must be uploaded as a PDF.
UPLOAD your application between (inclusive)
Tuesday, November 2 through Wednesday, November 10, 2021
using the uploading link you will receive after registering for an application number
CWAJ does not accept applications from persons living outside of Japan. We regret that we will NOT respond to any application filed by a person whose current address is not in Japan.
Please note that CWAJ communicates by email only.
All inquiries should be sent to our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
End of Instructions.